COVID-19 READINESS PLAN FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS STUDYING IN CANADA
Travelling to Canada and preparing to quarantine
Canada has reopened its borders to international students as of October 21, 2020 and Musitechnic has been authorized by the government to welcome international students.
The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19 in Canada.
Upon your arrival to Canada you must quarantine for 14 days and monitor yourself for symptoms to the minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19 in Canada (Mandatory Isolation).
Your compliance with this Order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. Those in violation may face detention in a quarantine facility as well as fines and/or imprisonment.
As one of our Foreign Students at Musitechnic, it is important to understand that before you begin your preparations for travel, you must have in your possession:
1. Letter of Acceptance from Musitechnic (e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org),
4. Valid Passport,
At least 6 months before the expiration date at your date of entry into Canada.
Next, you need to consider your Quarantine Plan.
YOUR QUARANTINE PLAN
It’s a LEGAL requirement for all people who enter Canada to prepare a quarantine plan and isolate for 14 days.
Your plan must include how you will travel to your place of isolation, and how you plan to get living essentials during the quarantine period.
You will not be able to enter Canada if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
MEASURES TO BE CONSIDERED
Consider the following questions when you create your quarantine plan before you leave your home country:
- Have you arranged a location to stay for your 14-day isolation period in Montreal?
- Is there anyone at your isolation location who may be vulnerable to COVID-19?
This may include someone who is over age 60, has a medical condition such as heart disease; high blood pressure; asthma or other lung diseases, diabetes; cancer; immune suppression; or taking prednisone medication.
- Have you arranged how you will travel from the airport to your isolation address? You will not be able to use public transport including city buses, trains, and subways (only asymptomatic travelers will be allowed to use ground transportation (ex. Taxi, Uber, 747 Bus*)
- Are you able to make the necessary arrangements to get groceries, emergency medical supplies, and other essentials during your quarantine (Delivery services)?
CREATE YOUR OWN QUARANTINE PLAN
Musitechnic can provide you with a sample quarantine plan that you can request from our admissions department (email@example.com).
– Review and ensure that your plan complies with federal government guidelines.
If you cannot isolate yourself in your own rented apartment, there are a few hotels offering quarantine accommodation which offer a special rate to Musitechnic students upon presentation of proof of enrolment:
– MARQ Student Residence (additional special rate for long-term rental after quarantine)
– Gouverneur Hotel Montreal
– International hotel management
PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE
As in any international travel, you must have private medical insurance arranged BEFORE you begin your journey to Canada.
It is MANDATORY to have an private health insurance policy in place before entering Canada to cover any incidents, including medical emergencies.
You must ask your Health Insurance provider if their policy covers you on Canadian territory (including the province of Quebec).
Students arriving from the following countries will be able to apply and receive medical coverage from the Government of the Province of Quebec:
Belgium| Denmark| Finland| France | Greece | Luxembourg | Norway | Portugal | Romania | Sweden
For more information, visit www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca
Once you have secured health insurance from the Government of Quebec, you have the option to cancel your private health coverage.
You probably have several options in private health insurance; we also suggest that you check out the link below to compare Insurance companies used by students:
https://www.guard.me | https://www.ingleinternational.com | https://www.tugo.com
The fees are set by private insurers and can vary depending on the services provided (please make sure that your private health and hospitalization insurance covers the entire duration of your studies in Québec, Canada (if you are not a resident of the countries listed above).
NOTE: Even if you already have coverage in your home country, you must still assure that it can be used in the Province of Québec.
Download the ArriveCAN application: (iOS, Android or Website).
– Create and configure your account,
– Provide the mandatory information required for entry into Canada within 48 hours prior to arrival in Canada,
– Provide the Government of Canada with voluntary updates on your quarantine compliance and the occurrence of any symptoms within 14 days of your arrival in Canada,
NOTE: As of November 21, the Government of Canada requires travellers to submit the necessary information electronically through the ArriveCAN mobile application before boarding their flight.
Anyone who does not properly complete the new process could face a fine of up to $1,000.
Use this mobile application to speed up your arrival process in Canada and spend less time with border and public health officials.
Emergency contact for foreign students of Musitechnic :
If you present symptoms during your quarantine, you should contact our admissions department to inform us and find out what to do.
Consider all possibilities before you start your journey to Canada.
With a well-thought out plan, you can avoid any inconveniences and serious penalties. And because you will be unable to leave your quarantine location, you must be prepared!
We know that a study trip in this unpredictable situation in the world can be stressful, that’s why Musitechnic wants to provide you with all the information and help you need for your arrival.
We are here for you!